Sunday 26 July 2020

Nothing like a nana nap!

                                                     Nana nap
One who is not a grandparent but is prone to taking naps during the afternoon for 1-2 hours.  Urban dictionary...
"I had a nana nap this afternoon and now I am ready to party again!!"
I know I am not alone when I say there's nothing like a nana nap to help one get through a day of pain or trouble. 

There are some days when I cannot function without a nana nap, and then there are the rarer days when I don't need one. But for me with a fibromyalgia flare, a nana nap is not a luxury, it is a necessity.

A nap in the middle of the day has been proven to make one more productive, and in some countries such as Spain they close the shops and businesses in the middle of the day and have what is called a siesta. The Spanish equivalent of a nana nap.

I do find when having a nana nap, that if I oversleep I can wake up feeling sore all over and brain fogged, so I try to limit it to no more than an hour. More than that and I feel like I am starting the whole morning stiffness and pain cycle all over again.

I used to take a nana nap during my lunch break when I was working in an office. I just went to my car and laid down in the back seat for a while. Siri would wake me on my phone in time to collect my thoughts and freshen up before going back to work. If it was too hot, I tried to nap in the ladies room where they had armchairs and couches.

It isn't necessary to actually go to bed to take a nana nap; I find my couch aka "the Beach" works for me, or any comfy chair will do. Provided that I don't oversleep, a nana nap often kicks me on to cook tea these days.

Today I have just made our bed and cooked dinner. Chris and I just got ourselves something quick to eat for lunch. I just took advantage of our beautiful view from the couch and watched the clouds and the birds. I dozed a bit and felt well enough to cook tonight and to actually wash the evening dishes.

Often I run out of spoons for cleaning my kitchen, but my dozing paid off and so I reiterate that there truly is nothing like a nana nap!


2 comments:

  1. I like that quote, "When life knocks you down, stay there and take a nap." I'm not a napper however when I do take a mid day nap, I often feel refreshed and ready to take on the rest of the day. Thanks for the reminder to take a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found if I feel overwhelmed with anything, a nap can help me get things into perspective. Thanks for sharing a cuppa with me today, Yvonne!

    ReplyDelete