Tuesday 12 March 2024

Cooking with fibro plus fibro bloggers' tips!


In trying to come to terms with my sore hands and lack of energy with my fibromyalgia, I have come up with some new tricks to help in cooking meals.

I have gleaned all the catalogued convenience foods available online and I have found some things that I don't have to peel or chop.

Getting my meat already diced and my vegetables pre-cut and peeled is more expensive, but if it means that we can still enjoy nutritious meals, then so be it.

My freezer has diced onions, pumpkin pieces, diced carrots, broccoli and florets of cauliflower as well as pre-cut chicken, stewing steak that has been diced and diced bell peppers. I no longer peel and chop and mash potatoes, but I use the frozen potato with butter added. It is worth the expense.

I have a jar of minced garlic so that I don't have to peel the cloves. Our pantry has spaghetti, penne and rice that cooks in the microwave in 90 seconds. I use that because I no longer can hold the colander to drain it. Our fruit is canned as I can't peel apples or oranges.

I keep our butter in a dish in the pantry because I cannot hold the knife to cut through hard butter or to scrape it. My diet lemonades now come in bottles because I cannot manage the pull rings and my tomato sauce is in an easy pour container for the same reason.

I am grateful for anything which will save my hands, like my electric can opener and my dryer as I no longer can hang washing out to dry. You don't realise how hard pegging something on is until your hands are too weak to push on the pegs.

But one simply has to go on and like all good Sacrificial Home Keepers, I do. It just takes a bit more planning and a lot of research to keep at it when you are an old hand in need of new ones.



6 comments:

  1. Cooking with Fibro is definitely difficult, and it's a learning curve. My hands are my nemesis as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't realise how much you use your hands until they don't work anymore! thanks for sharing a cuppa with me today, Chronic mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, the things we take for granted. I'm so glad that you have options to make life easier and less painful for you.
    Visiting from Anita's Inspire Me Monday #37.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for taking tea with me today, Corinne. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am making kitchen short cuts. I got a tornado can opener sits on top of the can and opens it with no sharp edge. I use instant mashed potatoes. I use pre cooked bacon. I use ready made hamburger patties. I do a lot of sheet pan dinners adding frozen veggies. Crockpot always a good thing. Paper plates have helped. I am seriously considering getting a table top burner to cook on. The stove top is high up for me because I am seated. I hate using the stove and oven. Thinking hot plate and toaster oven might be the ticket. Love Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. That table top burner sounds good. Do you have a microwave? they might be good.

    ReplyDelete