Tuesday 2 August 2022

We need to talk


So I am aging, overweight, have had over 50 kidney stones and 5 surgeries to remove them when they were impacted, and have given birth to 6 children.

Because of this, I used to find that a sneeze could have disastrous results, causing me embarrassment and discomfort as I wet myself. So much so, that I went to a physiotherapist who taught me how to exercise my pelvic floor using Kegel exercises.   They helped me quite a lot.

Nothing else has changed - one cannot change the past- but the only difference was my consistent Kegel exercising. This is for men as well as women, I was told. Anyway, I recommend them to everyone who has stress incontinence.

However, as much as Kegels have helped me, I have noticed that when I am in a flare of fibromyalgia, often I rediscover the joys of stress incontinence. 

It seems to me that fibromyalgia weakens my muscles in my pelvic floor and causes lack of control of the bladder. Just another problem fibro brings that many don't recognise or talk about.

I have purchased some undergarments that absorb urine yet look like normal underwear  I wear them when I am in a fibromyalgia flare, and they do a great job. (There are similar ones for men) It seems lately as I am in almost a constant state of flaring, that I am wearing them more often. 

It's just another pain for us Fibromites to endure, and I hope by sharing about this, it helps you if you have the same problem. It's nothing to be ashamed of and it's something we need to talk about.


12 comments:

  1. RIGHT THERE WITH YOU....in the last 6 months have now had to wear incontinence pads and have had many accidents ...have had to grieve over this too. Kelly Thompson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everything we lose we grieve over. Thank goodness for these modern conveniences for our mishaps. I love that there will be no more suffering or tears in Heaven!

      Delete
  2. Glenys do you and/or any followers have thoughts on how to keep skin folds dry and clean....it is a battle and I mean A BATTLE. I have to use washcloth bath wipes for cleaning now...cannot use shower or tub....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had times when I have to use those too. Even during reasonable times, I need Chris's help to hold my overhang out of the way so that I can wash it. Also to dry the skin is so important and he helps me do that too. I don't know what I would do without his help. I usually fold a man's handkerchief on the diagonal and place it along my "bikini" line. It helps absorb the perspiration and is easy to change. Can your husband help you with that too? I think perhaps a wash in bed like when in the hospital might help you. It might be less exhausting too, Kelly. We must keep the folds dry as possible during the day so maybe some of that Curash baby rash powder might help?- along with the handkerchief... if anyone reading this has any ideas, please let us both know. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. I've never tried baby rash powder, but I do use baking soda sometimes under my breasts in the heat of the summer when it's all rashy and miserable! ~ Gwen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea, Gwen! I suffer terribly there in the summer too! It is something I am going to try- and come to think of it, maybe it will work in the lower stomach area too. Thanks for that. Kelly, maybe this is something you could consider too!

      Delete
  4. Hi Glenys, I've seem those underwear for sale online, they look fabulous and really comfortable! I will be buying them when I get to the stage of needing them. I haven't had 6 children (just the one) but I do find that a sneeze, cough, or even just a little bit of a laugh causes me a problem sometimes. The health problems we suffer as we get older are never-ending it seems - something I'm learning as the years go on and on. Glad you're finding ways of dealing with it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those briefs are wonderful! I would not recommend them for full bladder loss, just light accidents. But it is wonderfully reassuring to wear them, knowing you are covered for any mishap. Thanks for sharing a cuppa with me today, Cheryl

      Delete
    2. I currently use the re-usable/washable pads that I bought online. They're wonderful too! :-)

      Delete
    3. Yes, I have them as well... bamboo lining I think it is. They're quite good, but I find the underwear more comfortable...

      Delete
  5. Oh my. It sounds like you have had quite the season of trials. I have incontinence, but more from post-menopause and not to a serious degree. I always forget about those exercises. I need to try those.

    I'm sure many will appreciate your recommendation. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have more problems on days like today when my spine is playing up. I have a spinal canal stenosis at L5 and when my back is painful, I tend to leak a tiny bit more. Yes, my life healthwise has always been a trial, which is why I blog for sick or disabled women. We need to help each other. Thanks for taking tea with me today.

    ReplyDelete