Tuesday 15 September 2020

Pain changes people


In dealing with my fibromyalgia flares, I find dealing with the accompanying mental pain is just as bad as dealing with unrelenting physical pain. It is just as difficult to bear.

Usually a mild mannered person, after coping all day with searing pain in my muscles, topped off with an inability to sleep soundly, I can fly off the handle occasionally.

Yesterday for example, I managed to catch up on my dishes, which turned out to be a three part marathon. Usually Chris puts them away but yesterday it didn't happen.

My fingers were paining me, my back ached and my legs didn't feel like they could hold me up. Unfortunately, a feeling of resentment overtook me, and I yelled at Chris for not doing his part.

I love being a wife and homemaker, but when everything is hurting at once, and not sleeping well because of the pain, resentment rose up in me. 

Resentment that I wasn't getting any help coupled with no pain relief and tiredness made me verbally buck and shy like a wild stallion. Along with resentment of my lack of help came resentment that my body has let me down.

Once resentment kicks in, it opens the door to self-pity and depression. I don't like yelling at Chris, particularly as he is usually not only helpful but emotionally nurturing and supportive.

I have found that at times like this, when pain causes me to blow my stack, that like an overtired toddler, I need to rest. So I put myself to bed for a nana nap.

Fibromyalgia pain never lets up, even in our sleep. It pursues us in our rest and deprives us of even the enjoyment of a brief period of respite in sleep. We toss and turn, trying to get comfortable- and that is even during the brief time our dry aching eyes are actually closed. It is not restorative at all.

I have had to learn to stop feeling false guilt for reacting to my pain when the levels are high enough to launch a rocket. That's how I feel during a flare. But I have got to remember that I didn't ask for this and am not responsible for succumbing to this painful syndrome.

I must remember that fibromyalgia pain-or indeed any pain, makes the vicissitudes of life that much harder to bear. Everything is exaggerated both physically and mentally, and the only thing I can do is accept that this is not my usual self, for pain changes people.

                                                                                                                                                                                                        
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

12 comments:

  1. I agree that pain does change us. Sometimes it brings out the best in us, but sometimes it brings out the worst in us too. And both are okay. Both are normal. I don't like the latter option, but I know it happens with me when I'm in physical pain or emotional pain or even just too hungry. Thankful for those who show us grace when we're not ourselves. Including giving grace to ourselves too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found it easier for me to give grace to others, but not myself so much! I suspect a lot of negatives go into that- like resentment of loss of body functions and so on. Fibro certainly is a syndrome that demands grace. Thanks for sharing a cuppa with me today, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Glenys, I don't have fibromyalgia, but I do have pain that sometimes causes me speak to my husband in ways that I wish I didn't. My husband also helps me with almost everything around the house, and I always feel terrible when I've treated him in a way that's not fitting. Your post has given me the encouragement to try to improve and be kinder to my husband in these situations. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, I am sorry you are suffering too. I write about fibro pain because that is the pain I am coping with on a daily basis. But pain is pain, for whatever reason. So I am so glad you are getting support from your husband. We need to encourage them, for we are blessed! I tell Chris that all the time, and I know it helps when I do fly off the handle occasionally. Thanks so much for taking tea with me today, Blessings!

      Delete
  4. This is so true. Grace, Lord, we need Your grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, LORD, we need Your grace. Amen! thanks for having a cuppa with me, Susan!

      Delete
  5. Pain is a real trial. Thank you for sharing this honesty. Visiting today from the Purposeful Faith link up. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pain management is something I need to find out how to do. I haven't achieved it yet, along with never flying off the handle. Definitely room for improvement there. Thanks for calling in for a cuppa, Marielle!

      Delete
  6. I can so relate to this. I don't have fibromyalgia, but I have chronic migraines, scoliosis, arthritis, degenerative disc disease, and carpel tunnel. Pain can really wear you down, but God is still good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I am sorry you are suffering too. I write about fibro pain because that is the pain I am coping with on a daily basis. But pain is pain, for whatever reason. I share scoliosis, arthritis and degenerative disc disease and I am coping with angina and polymyalgia rheumatica as well. But life is still good, and so is God. Blessings!

      Delete
  7. Oh I hear you loud and clear. Fibromyaligia is a relenting pain that just keeps giving. Sometimes I wish it wouldn't. gentle hugs for you xx #Senisal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, fibromyalgia is the one pain causing syndrome that is a constant dreary companion. Unlike the other pains, it overstays its "welcome" and hangs around like a bad smell... thanks for the gentle hugs and for taking the time to share a cuppa with me, Bree!

      Delete