Friday 18 September 2020

I would pop my cork!


These days when I cook or bake, I try to keep it simple so that there's no big mess to clean up afterwards.

When my granddaughter comes to stay, we often bake but I am checking on messes all the time. We still have fun!

I used to be able to turn a blind eye to messes that children made- cooking, baking and making cubby houses for them. But now with fibromyalgia vying with heart and back problems, I find my patience wearing a bit thin and my spoons non existent. 

Don't get me wrong: I love having my grandchild visit... it's just understood now that any messes have to be cleaned up immediately and things picked up and put away. Nana can't do it anymore!

In spite of how it sounds, we still have fun and in case a nana nap's needed, I just talk to her and go to bed. She's  now of an age where she doesn't need constant supervision- except in my kitchen that is! 

You know how old Mrs Hubbard went to the cupboard and found it empty? well, that's me looking for patience and spoons -to find none there!  My cupboard is bare.  Delightful as the picture here is, I think if I found my kitchen in this mess, I would pop my cork! 

6 comments:

  1. I totally understand! My fiver year old granddaughter and I enjoy cooking, experiments, playing make believe, but she helps clean up before we get something else out and if I'm too tired, we cuddle on my bed while watching kitty videos or the like on her tablet. she's learned so much empathy from hanging out with me.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's great when they are old enough to understand, and help to keep messes down. Grandparenting's the best isn't it?

      Delete
  2. I think it's great that you have the relationship with your granddaughter where she is welcome and you can spend time together while still meeting your needs. Visiting today from the Inspire Me Monday link up. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marielle! I am missing her and I am hoping they lessen the restrictions so that she can come stay with me.

      Delete
  3. I'm the same with kitchen messes, whenever I cook with my five-year-old, I impress on her that we tidy up as we go along. Otherwise there's a big pile of mess at the end for me to sort out instead of enjoying whatever we just made (lol). I'd still have some washing up to do after but it's not as bad if we stay on top of it during the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wemi, I used to be more chilled about messes until I became ill. But now, it's every woman for themself. Thanks for having a cuppa with me today!

      Delete