Friday 14 February 2020

Cats and dogs


We have had very crazy weather this afternoon. Torrential rains, which are a blessing with all the fires we have had recently, caused flash flooding, almost blocking the one main road into our little town. This is a picture taken just after the deluge near our place. 

Having been warned of severe thunder and possible hailstones, I brought my washing in, and Chris moved our small white car under the carport. Unfortunately, the Sierra ute and Play Mor fifth wheeler were in the firing range. However, there was little hail and the rains washed the van for us. It is soon going up for sale.

We watched the storm through the back glass sliding door and were horrified to see a fireball come down, almost hitting the shed in the paddock behind us. It was a ball of glowing light with a tunnel in the centre, with swirling energy like the sun in the middle. It was so very bright and was accompanied by the loudest crack of thunder overhead. Chris said it's the worst storm he's seen, and he has worked outside most of his adult life.

Our area is well known for chaotic and harsh weather. It has snowed in previous years and gets very, very cold. I can see a lot of thick socks, minkie blankets and warmed up wheat packs to take to bed in my future.

To be honest, I think I prefer the colder weather. You can always rug up to stay warm, whereas cooling off is more difficult. I even love rain, especially when you don't have to go out in it. The sound of the rain falling on our tin roof was lovely. I love it when it rains cats and dogs! 


2 comments:

  1. Hang in there! I too love a good rain. But a fireball? That's something I have never seen. Not sure I would want to se one so close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not all that frequent, fortunately. It was scary as it seemed to be heading for our place. It lasted about 15 seconds before it hit the ground near the neighbour's shed. Too close for comfort and came with a realisation that it could have been us! Thanks for commenting today, Theresa.

      Delete