Tuesday 11 May 2021

I can't keep doing this to myself!


When I have a bad flare of fibromyalgia and/or polymyalgia rheumatica, I feel so sore and tired that I often let the dishes build up.

We all know that when you put one cup or bowl in the sink, they suddenly start multiplying and pretty soon you have a stack to tackle in washing up.

With Chris quite ill at the moment, I am loathe to ask him to help me so this problem is absolutely on my shoulders alone.

Last week the lady who comes to clean our house once a fortnight, washed and put away my dishes and it was so nice to see an empty sink and find a clean cup without a search party and ensuing  mammoth cleaning marathon.

I was so impressed that I have kept it up, washing up as we use the crockery. In fact, the first day after she helped me, we got up and thought we were in the wrong house! There was a clean sink and kitchen.

It's taken me 52 years of being a home maker to finally realise that by procrastination- I mean of the long duration type, not once in a blue moon- is a killer not only of productivity but peace.

It's been a week now since I have turned over a new leaf and I have found that it is less draining on my energy levels and is achievable.

I know it's only been a week, but for a chronically ill old chook with longstanding procrastination habits, it's a long time.

It probably sounds pathetic to all the "normals" who say, "Well it's only washing the dishes!", but to a spoon challenged tired sick sufferer of continual pain, it's a big deal!

Another plus is that with the kitchen clean, my spirits have been uplifted and I am far more likely to grab the pile of clean washing and fold it. It sort of has a domino effect! 

Whatever, I feel better for the discipline and look forward to waking up to a clean kitchen now. Besides, with the realisation that housework is spiritual, I find I function best in a tidy house and will make every effort to keep it up and not have a mammoth dishwashing session. I can't keep doing this to myself! 

 

7 comments:

  1. Keeping up with the dishes--even in the best of situations--isn't easy! So I applaud your success already. I continue to learn this too: "procrastination- I mean of the long duration type, not once in a blue moon- is a killer not only of productivity but peace."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Glenys! Visiting from April Harris's Hearth and Soul linkup. Great advice, and I hope you continue to find ways to improve your energy level, especially during flares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I am so pleased to report that the dishes have been done regularly. Jean, thank you for visiting today and thank you both for taking tea with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a very big deal, Glenys, and you should really give yourself lots of praise for what you are doing. It's incredibly hard to keep up with things when you have a chronic illness. I hope your energy levels continue to improve, and that you are kind to yourself on the days that are more challenging. Thank you for being a part of the Hearth and Soul Link Party Community. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is pleasing to not have a sink full of dirty dishes. I think whether ill or not, dishes can be challenging to keep up with. Thank you for your kind words, April. And thank you for taking tea with me today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Glenys.
    I hope your flares become less frequent. I know mine always make it difficult to push through some of the tasks that used to be done quickly and easily.
    Blessings to you,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Tammy. I think our self talk has to be more user friendly. It's no good berating ourselves for being ill, it just makes us defeated. I will try to be kinder to myself. Thanks for taking tea with me today! Be blessed

    ReplyDelete