Friday 7 May 2021

Hand over the Prednisolone!


I was too afraid to take the 5mg Prednisolone x 3 tablets the doctor gave me Monday for my polymyalgia rheumatica flareup and arthritic deformed hands...

He said to take it for a week and see how it goes, but I was so scared of the side effects that I wondered if I should avoid it. I know it will raise by blood sugars and I am diabetic. Also, I know it will raise my blood pressure. But still, the pain is rising so much that I really don't know what to do...

I have temple pain with the PMR and I am scared it may go into giant cell arteritis. I had them in my hand that morning, chickened out and put them back in the bottle....

I had a phone consult with my doctor later today and I discussed what was worrying me about taking Prednisolone. We discussed the risks and he asked me to try it till Monday when we both go to see him. My ESR was very high (50) so he is pretty sure it's PMR back again. So this morning I took them.

It's evening now and I am exhausted but feel a bit edgy so I am not in bed yet. I know this will sound untrue, but this arvo I have been able to move my thumb and bend my fingers for the first time in months! I hope it continues...

Twelve hours in, in the midst of this battle with pain, it seems like a miracle cure! I am a new fan. I am glad now that I weighed up the pros and cons as I weighed my burgeoning body.

Unable to hold a cake knife, I shouted to my husband, "Hand over the Prednisolone and no one gets hurt!” as I reached for another piece of comforting cake.


2 comments:

  1. I understand! We do have to weigh consequences. We want to participate in life so sometimes we step out to try that new thing that might help. Love Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been helping me and I am only on my second day! Now I am hoping he won't take me off it on Monday! :)

    ReplyDelete