Wednesday 28 October 2020

Spoons aren't transferable

 


So this morning I needed a shower as I have an important appointment later on in the day. With lockdown and being home most of the time, I have been fairly relaxed about it, but not today.

I did our bloods, gave Chris his insulin injection, ate breakfast and ran the shower. It was heaven on my aching muscles and I let the water run on my sore neck and back. I washed my hair and body and then started to feel weak.

Out of spoons, I sat on the side of the bath trying to catch my breath and get my second wind. It didn't come. 

By the time I had finally got dried and dressed, I was literally shaking and sick with fatigue.

Looking at the clock, I realised that in a few hours I will be leaving the house and walking around. Which normals think as normal, but us sufferers of fibromyalgia and other chronic illnesses know, we have to balance everything in the spoon equation. Once spent, they're gone! 

Sitting down to rest and trying to garner some spoons of energy, I realised once again that I simply cannot shower on days I have to go out to an appointment that simply cannot be postponed. 

You would think after 20 years of fibro that I would have learned that spoons aren't transferable.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Gleny, My spoons run out way to soon too. I cry a lot from my fibro pain. I have a friend who always says, if I move more. I'll feel better. I keep telling her her If I could I would. I finally got myself into a one floor apartment as I can't do steps. You know, sitting on a stool to cook and or do dishes. Shower char. It really makes me angry when people who have no idea about invisible illnesses say things like, they know some, who knows someone who has fibromyalgia and their doing good. Good for them. I'm not them. Sorry for my rant I'm just delighted I found someone in the blogosphere who understands.
    I am following your other blog on blogger, I just started a website there, so there are only a few posts there. I will long on to blogger and follow this one too. I'll show up as Paula Short.
    You can find me there as Simply Stray Thoughts And Such
    or
    Simply Chasing Jesus@
    https://chasingjesus911.com
    Or
    Simply Coffee And Jesus@
    https://simplycoffeeandjesus.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking tea with me today, Paula. I will follow your blogs.

      Delete