Wednesday 21 February 2024

I am not lazy!

 



So I am often low on spoons and it necessitates a hands on approach. I must pace myself and rest up in the hope that I can find some spoons from somewhere in order to do the needful.

Usually by the end of the day, you will find me resting in my recliner rocker or in bed. Especially when I have a fibromyalgia flare or a bad day with breathing difficulties.

Apart from the usual taunts such as "but you don't look sick" and the need to validate my need for rest, I find that the latest taunt is "you are so lazy!"

But appearances can be deceiving. If I were truly lazy I wouldn't even be resting or pacing myself in order to do a household task or cook a meal. I wouldn't even be entertaining the thought of cleaning or cooking.

People presuming to know my situation are often getting it all wrong.  And it used to hurt. But these days, I have decided to let it run off my back like water off a duck. 

I no longer let those unkind remarks get to me... Chris and I know the truth and that's all that matters.

Like looking well when I feel like death warmed over, resting to enable a task to be done does not mean I am indolent or don't care about my husband or my home.

Taking care of myself in order to take care of others may appear selfish. But nothing can be further from the truth: I am not lazy! 




4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this. I am sometimes my own worst enemy and feel guilty when I rest. It's true without rests I struggle to do anything

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too... but I had to stop myself comparing the old me with the new one.. I learned through the hard times that I had to rest or I wouldn't be able to cope...

      Delete
  2. You are definitely NOT lazy, Glenys. I am sorry people can be so hurtful when it comes to nvisible disabilities and illnesses. My son's partner Hannah has chronic fatigue and ME and my dear friend Sarah has fibromyalgia, so I totally understand what you are saying. Sending prayers for lots of good days for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers and understanding, April. I feel for Hannah and Sarah.. it isn't easy trying to have a life with these chronic illnesses..

      Delete