Monday 17 January 2022

Our little haven

 


So yesterday was a day of horrible fibromyalgia pain and fatigue. I felt a little down so I came to my couch and sat next to Chris for a cuddle and rest. 

We love feeding the birds that come into our back garden and all through the day, our garden is like an airport. Birds of all types come to dine and drink and it is so restful and fun to watch them.

They have their own little antics and natures and they can be quite amusing. And apart from watching their different natures and antics they have something else that we find very attractive: they have babies.

It's such fun to watch the mothers feeding their babies and to watch the babies venture further and further from her as they learn to feed themselves. They fly but are still juvenile and yesterday their mothers were distancing themselves from their chicks and refusing to feed them, much to their annoyance. 

The magpie juveniles are especially raucous and squawk even with food in their mouth. They are almost always feeding. The minor bird mummy also is weaning her chicks from her and as soon as she moves away, they follow like the duckling family juveniles do. So fun to watch.

But by far, my favourite birds are the Kingfishers which have also had babies. Whilst laying on the couch, I can see outside and I was delighted to see a mother Kingfisher with one of her three babies on our garden swing.

They were watching the porch which was covered in birdseed for the galahs and rosellas. I had thrown out some cut up luncheon meat, and they were waiting for the magpies to vacate the porch so that they could dine. Kingfishers are shy and besides, magpies are three times their size. So they wait.

It is the season for little white cabbage moths too. They are flying around the agapanthus plants and I guess they are mating because they seem to be in pairs. As are the pigeons that come for the seed.

There are three that regularly call in and partake of the parrot seed on the ground. There's a little female who just wants to eat, but there also is an amorous male who has romance on his mind. He pursues her constantly and hopes to make her his by dancing for her. 

He fans out his tail feathers and hops towards her, then takes a few steps back. He repeats this courting gesture until she tires of him and runs a few feet away. But he is insistent and pursues her over and over again. I hope that he wins her heart as it is such fun to  watch the young birds as they leave the nest under their mothers supervision.

We have a bird bath/feeder in the back garden which we used to fill with seed, but now with torn meniscuses in both knees, I cannot get down the steps to fill it, so they get fed from the back sliding glass door. I just toss the food onto the back porch. They don't care where it is. 

They are quite used to me now and I have them almost eating out of my hand. So much so that as soon as I open the door, they come flying in to the garden from all directions, calling each other.

We have water in the bird feeder and in a plastic container in front of the steps. They bathe and drink and sing and they enjoy our back garden as much as we do.

It's a lovely place to recoup one's spoons during a fibromyalgia flare. The daily scenes are so peaceful and we love our little haven and we know the birds think of it as their haven as well. Their constant visits and frequent broods of chicks speaks of a place of plentiful food, water and safety.

We are grateful God lead us to this little country town- it is a gift from Him: our little haven



8 comments:

  1. Isn't it wonderful to have a place to rest and reflect on God's beautiful creation. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's a wonderful place to live and it's tucked away from people. God's creation blesses us daily and I believe it helps with recovery after and during a flare. Thank you for your kind words as always, Joanne. Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad God provided you comfort in your pain. I love watching the birds and squirrels. So does one of my dogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have squirrels here but I got to see some when we were in England. So cute!

      Delete
  4. Glenys, I too enjoy watching the birds and reflecting on God's creations, love, and grace. It definitely helps me in recovering from a flare too. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often am in awe of God's creations and think how much more beautiful will it be in Heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry that you were not feeling well, but so pleased you felt inspired to write and share your beautiful haven with us at Hearth and Soul. Your garden sounds gorgeous, really restorative, for both you and your animal and bird visitors! Take care and I hope today is a better day for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our garden reminds me that we were created in a garden. It really is restorative and so soothing. Thank you for hosting Hearth and Soul. Be blessed, April!

      Delete