Saturday 30 January 2021

At least it has a name!

Most of us  have waited  many years for a  fibromyalgia diagnosis.  Meanwhile while we wait,  we have been  treated as malingers and have often been  offered ill  informed advice from  people who don't even understand what  fibromyalgia is.  Many of us have been  dismissed by doctors or told it is all in our heads as they write a referral to a psychiatrist! 

We Fibromites know it's not in our heads but our muscles, tendons, neck, knees, and joints. We can hardly stay awake in the daytime, and given that we can't even sleep at night in comfort, we are often sleep deprived and anxious as we await our diagnosis. One that we are hoping will be key in helping overcome this horrid syndrome as well as validate our pain to others. 

All these things prior to diagnosis are all brutal in their own way. And most pain relief does not really help us even after a diagnosis of fibromyalgia. The pain is debilitating. So are the flares which are limiting. The spoons for daily living are scarce. Or non existent. 

It hurts us further that the fibro fog that robs us not only of clear thought but words, is the only thing that people can notice. All other stuff is invisible therefore to some our pain doesn't exist, especially as we usually don't look sick... 

As there's no cure and very little that helps, our life doesn't change much after a diagnosis of fibro.. but even so, it is some small comfort that at least it has a name! 

 

4 comments:

  1. For me, having a name and then learning about it helped me feel more empowered. It doesn't change the fact that it's a daily struggle, but I now at least have self care protocols that help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Katie, I think there is some empowerment in knowing your chronic illness's name. As you say, you now have self care protocols that can help. Thanks for sharing a cuppa with me today!

      Delete
  2. Hi Glenys, great blog this week! I can completely agree with you in that I am so happy it has a name. I cannot tell you how many times I was told it was all in my head or they couldn’t help me. Thankfully, I have found doctors who can help me now. God bless and good luck 🍀 to you’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling that people don't believe you are in pain. I actually wrote about this yesterday and here's the link if you want to read it. https://mcwglenys.blogspot.com/2021/11/i-know-how-she-feels.html I am glad you have found good doctors to help you now. Thanks for sharing a cuppa with me today, Rachel. Be blessed!

      Delete