Thursday 1 April 2021

Is a little compassion too much to ask for?


 It is so difficult to adjust to a new normal after a diagnosis. After many years of wondering why I had all over pain and tiredness, I finally got a diagnosis of fibromyalgia.

I was relieved that I had a name to put to the painful syndrome that sucked the life out of me and added to my woes as a sufferer of angina, arthritis and back pain. And polymyalgia rheumatica thrown into the mix.

It made sense that with all these ailments, I would be finding it more difficult, or even impossible to do the chores that after a lifetime of being a wife and mother, were familiar and regular as the rising and setting of the sun.

With the newest diagnosis, came a depression because not only was I totally frustrated with having to constantly adjust to my new normal, but I was not afforded much compassion or understanding from others.

It was intimated, but not said, that I was lazy and using ill health as an excuse to be lazy. Nothing could be further from the truth. I was laid low emotionally as well as physically.

These days, it is rare to find someone who is compassionate for the chronically ill and/or aged. And it compounds the frustration and anger one can feel as one goes through the cycles of grief with a new diagnosis that limits one further.

I know a little understanding from others would go a long way to help me adjust and accept it every time I am faced with a new normal. 

Sadly, not only do most people now not want to listen about chronic illness, but they don't want to know. 

It's not a hard thing to commiserate with the trampled flower bowing under the weight of pain and illness and later, stigma. 

We don't necessarily ask for help from others, but is a little compassion too much to ask for? 


4 comments:

  1. I do understand Glenys, it's a difficult path, one I too am traversing with Him.
    Blessings to you this easter,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. No compassion is not much to ask for but unfortunately most people do not have room for it or other people's problems. Luckily we can turn to our inner spiritual place for the true compassion we need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we can... I think it's symptomatic of our fast lifestyle these days: people are generally very self-centred! Thanks for having a cuppa with me today, Lee!

      Delete