Monday 20 December 2021

No mojo with fibro


So leading up to Christmas, I had my 9 year old granddaughter Taylah, stay with us until Christmas Eve, when she would be taken home in plenty of time for Santa to come.

I promised Tay that we would make Christmas cookies make cubbies, play school, go swimming and have a play date with her cousins. 

Day one started out well and we played school, office workers and shop keepers. I showed Tay how to touch type, taught her a bit of Italian and French in a fun way and then I promptly ran out of spoons.

I simply had to give in to the pain and take some Tramadol to keep going. I made some lunch and felt like I might pass out. Dizziness assailed me and I felt vomity. Probably the Tramadol.

I had to explain to Tay that I love having her here, but am not well and I need to take a nana nap. She got a crash course in fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue. 

She had lost her paternal grandmother last week and was very anxious about me so I didn't want to frighten her too much, so I said that if I don't go to rest for an hour that I would not enjoy her stay because I would be cranky. If I went to bed just for an hour, I would enjoy it so much more, and so would she.

As she accepted this fact, she immediately bombarded me with "but I thought we were making cookies, playing out side and making a cubby house?" I told her we could do all that if I took a nap. She said OK then got her ipad out. I went to bed and allowed the Tramadol to do its magic. It didn't.

No, it didn't do anything except make me nauseous, even after a 20 minute nap. That was all I got. So, I got up, made us all a cup of tea and sat down with Chris to watch a video he wanted to show me.

Taylah pouted and demanded to make cookies, as I had had a nana nap. Groaning, I got up and started taking ingredients out to make the cookies. 

After that, I was too exhausted to clean the kitchen. I cooked dinner and then it was time for Tay to have her bath. That wasn't a big deal as she's nearly ten, but she wanted me to play MacDonalds with her, so I got some wooden spoons and plastic cups for her to play with. 

I sat on my shower stool and bought some Big Macs,"no pickles, no onion and a soft serve cone for my daughter." We blew bubbles with the Imperial Leather soap and I did what Fibromites do best: I tried to hide my pain and pretended to have a good time.

By 9 o'clock I insisted that Tay go to bed and I joined her. Before we went to sleep, she told me she missed her mother and wanted to go home.

In the morning, she assured me she loved being here and she loved me but wanted her mum. I told her I understood and that it was fine. We would take her home. She was humming to herself as she played teacher and when I went to the fridge, I found a love note from her to me.

I was glad as I worried she didn't stay with us longer because I was a boring old lady. And I fear I am. Cos everyone knows there's no mojo with fibro.


4 comments:

  1. Gentle hugs back to you, Glenys. It's hard to be sick and take care of a child, and children don't really understand not feeling well. You did your best, and that's all you can do. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Theresa. Yes I did the best I could but Tay has got youth and strength on her side. She's a really good child, but she's still a child. My spoons still haven't returned. I am done in! Have a Merry Christmas too. Be blessed and thanks for sharing a cuppa with me today!

      Delete
  2. Just wanted to say that i understand. It makes me exhausted jut reading this nd knowing how you felt both physically, with fibromyalgia, and emotionally. I hope some strength has returned. Best wishes to you for a happier New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you share my sufferings through empathy. It's not easy especially holidays, but I at least have some happy memories of Tay's time with us, short as it was. I think she wanted her mum because she had just lost her other grandmother. My strength has gone on holiday... I hope we both have a happier New Year esp with fibro. Thanks for having a cuppa with me today. Who knows, perhaps we will in real life one day! Be blessed!

      Delete