Thursday 6 August 2020

Kiss the cook!


So my fibromyalgia flare is abating, and I have a few spoons today. So I am planning to do some cooking this afternoon.

I am planning to bake some bread, some sugarless cookies for Chris and a vegetable intensive stew for dinner tonight.

With chronic illness, I have seen firsthand how cooking from scratch and making nutritious meals extends our lives. 

My mother was a good cook. When her brother who lived with her, had a stroke, he lived far longer than what the doctor guessed and it was due a lot to her plain but wholesome meals.

My step-father had emphysema and diabetes, and Mum always had good meals on the table for him. The day before he died, he told me that he didn't think he would live to 75. I replied that it's because of Mum's good home cooking! He agreed and said he didn't doubt that it was! 

So with our various chronic health issues, I always try to do the same and I also make sure we eat at least a couple of pieces of fruit. 

Besides, with lockdown on and nothing much to do, it's a good thing to have something nice in the oven and to look forward to your meals.

We only get one life and what we eat does influence our longevity! So I will always make a solid wholesome meal no matter how I feel. 

So far I don't have many complaints about my meals and I don't have to remind Chris to kiss the cook! 


8 comments:

  1. I believe in good old fashioned, from scratch, homecooking too and I got this from my Mother also! I learned how to make many a "Mulligan stew" in my life (since 12 years old) and I'm glad I was taught to use what we had on hand. Aren't we blessed! Thanks for the reminder and have a beautiful day "full of spoons"! ~ Gwen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes our mothers left a good legacy for us, Gwen! Blessings, Glenys

      Delete
  2. Yes, we do what we can when we can.

    And when we can't, we rest, with gratitude ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, Linda- and don't feel guilty! Blessings, Glenys

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's lovely that you were having a good day, Glenys, and that you had more spoons. My son's partner suffers from a chronic illness so I do understand how challenging that can be. It's wonderful to be creative in the kitchen when you can and I hope you had a lovely day. Take care and I hope you have more good days soon. Thank you for being a part of the Hearth and Soul Community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, April. It was so good to actually feel well enough to cook creatively: that is, not just serve something thrown together or from a packet. I have woken to another better day. Just in time to catch up on stuff that didn't get done while I was in a flare. Thanks for hosting Hearth and Soul Community!

      Delete
  5. I have been doing a lot more cooking during Covid with a lot less complaining about it. To your point, not much else to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren, I must say that Chris has enjoyed my efforts lately. I even baked some bread this morning for morning tea! I do hope my spoons last a bit this time!

      Delete