Tuesday 1 March 2022

The downside of country life


So  the other night I was going into my bathroom when I noticed this huntsman on the frame near the door. My heart nearly stopped!

Walking into the bathroom, I must have passed close to this horrid spider who could easily have jumped on my head and such is my fear of spiders, it possibly would have killed me in a cardiac event brought on by fear!

Not an overly big spider by huntsman standards, he would have been about 3 inches across. But he was big enough to induce panic in us as we scurried to find a broom and the fly spray!

I didn't want to lose this guy as we wouldn't know where we would find him, so there was a great over use of flyspray and frantic loud bangs of the broom. Suffice it to say, he got a burial at sea!

It is said that they come in pairs, so we were watching everywhere until his mate was found. And she was...

I was in the adjacent laundry and found her sunning herself on the glass panel in the back door. I grabbed my flyspray and went to spray it, but then realised that she was outside the door. She too had to be gone because I didn't want her coming in the house. I'd had enough excitement with her mate's intrusion.

A few sprays of the flyspray had her on the move, and a few heavy thumps of the broom, and she was no longer. Except for food for the birds and ants. 

Indeed, I had to chuckle at how fast I moved, considering my two damaged knees and fibromyalgia. It's marvellous what an adrenaline rush can do for a body! 

Not only did the fear of losing the huntsman to perchance come back to terrorise me, rattle me, but so did realising that I had married a man who refused to rescue me from dangerous wildlife! Such was my expectation of my knight in shining armour! :)

Don't get me wrong: I still love living here in the Australian bush with my liver-lilied Chris,  but snakes and huntsmen are definitely the downside of country life.




4 comments:

  1. As a fellow Aussie I do understand. My daughter is very fearful of spiders too. She has a lemon spray that she sprays around the door frames and windows that is meant to deter them. I didn't realise that these kind of spiders come in pairs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee, that lemon spray is interesting: is it something I buy or make up myself? anything that repels them is fine by me! Yep, these charmers come in two's. Aren't we lucky? lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spiders hate citrus! We bought a relative cheap spray from coles called organic lemongrass and cedarwood air freshener, in the cleaning aisle, and add a few drops of lemon aromatherapy oil or tea tree oil to it. All these smells are meant to deter spiders. An easy alternative is the following from Real Homes site "You can also make your own spider repellent using a lemon - working out much cheaper than buying one in a store. Mix the juice from a lime or lemon with water in a spray bottle and spray the corners of your bathroom or any moist areas that are likely to attract the insects."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thanks so much, Lee! I will definitely make some up and spray it liberally. I will let you know how it goes! :)

    ReplyDelete